How can I contact Leeds Building Society?

It's easy to get in touch with us by either popping into your local branch, online or by phone. We will always be happy to help with whatever you may need. For all our contact details see our contact us page.

To keep up to date with news on your Society, as well as the latest offers, competitions and useful hints and tips, you can sign up to our enewsletter. Simply visit our enewsletter sign up page and fill in your details. You can also follow us on Twitter @LeedsBS or on Facebook.

Where is my nearest branch?

To find your nearest branch visit our Find a Branch page. Simply enter your postcode or town/city and search. You will find opening times and contact details of your nearest branch and information on the services they offer.

How do I change my personal details?

If you need to change any of your personal details that we currently hold, you can do this by using secure online services, giving us a call* or popping into your local branch. For some changes we may need proof, for example an address change or name change. We will be happy to guide you on what you need to do when you speak to us.

How do I open a Savings account with Leeds Building Society?

You can open most of our accounts in branch, by post, over the phone or on our website. Children’s accounts cannot be opened online.

To open an account you'll need proof of identification and address. Most saving accounts require a minimum deposit to open the account. These vary between different accounts and information on these can be found in the specific Product Terms and Conditions.

I have lost my online login details, how can I be reminded of them?

If you have lost your online login details, don't worry, we can help. You can either try to reset them yourself online or call us* for help.


What proof of identity/address do I have to provide to open an account?


If you are opening an account with us in branch, you will need to bring proof of your identity, such as a full UK or EU photo driving licence or a valid UK or EU passport.

Phone and post

For postal applications, you will need to supply acceptable identification.


We will try to verify your identity using an electronic verification system, however if we’re not successful we may ask you to prove your identity by post.

More details

For details of other forms of acceptable identification that you can provide, please contact your local branch or call us*.

See our next question for an explanation of what a certified copy of proof of identity/address is and how to get one.

What is a certified copy document and how do I obtain one?

A certified copy document is a photocopy of the original document which has been checked and approved by a recognised professional.

The definition of ‘recognised professionals’ are:

  • Chartered & Certified Accountant, Bank/Building Society Managers, Post Office staff (certification service only), Commissioners for Oaths, General Practitioner/Doctor, Independent Financial Advisers, Justice of the Peace, a Practicing Solicitor or a member of Leeds Building Society Staff.

The certified copy document must bear the following statement ‘I confirm I have seen the original document and this copy is an accurate, unaltered and unedited replica of the original.’

The certifying party must ensure the certified document bears their:

  • Official stamp, Signed name in full, Profession, Company Address, Phone No, Date of certification.

If you have any queries, call us* or visit your local branch.

How can I close my account?

If you would like to close an account you can do this in one of the following ways:

  • Visit your nearest branch: Please ensure that you bring proof of identity such as a UK or EU photo driving licence or a valid UK or EU passport.
  • By post: You can send us a letter stating the account you would like to close and confirmation as to how you would like us to return any funds held in the account to you, whether that be by cheque or transfer to another account. Please enclose your passbook if you would like us to update your passbook before closing your account. Please send this to:

    Head Office Processing Team,
    Leeds Building Society,
    105 Albion Street,
    LS1 5AS

How do I make a complaint?

We hope that we provide our members with a great service, but from time to time things go wrong.

The simplest way to resolve a complaint is to visit or phone your local branch.

Find a branch

If they're unable to assist they'll give you details about who to contact. Alternatively you can:

  • call us: 03450 50 50 75* - our lines are open Mon - Fri: 8am - 8pm and Sat: 9am - 5pm
  • email us:**
  • write to our Complaints Monitoring Team at the postal address:

    Complaints Monitoring Team,
    Leeds Building Society,
    105 Albion Street,
    LS1 5AS

The European Commission provides an on-line dispute resolution (ODR) platform for goods and services bought online. This allows customers to submit their complaint through a central site who will forward it on to the right Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) scheme. For more information about ODR please visit The ADR scheme for Leeds Building Society is the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS) and you therefore may choose to use the ODR platform to refer your complaint or write to FOS directly.

Ultimately, your complaint may be referred to the Financial Ombudsman Service, Exchange Tower, Harbour Exchange Square, London, E14 9SR.

What details do I need to make a mortgage payment or pay into my savings account?

The first 8 digits of your 10 digit account number and Sort Code:

For paying into a savings account, please use the Sort Code: 08-61-19
For paying your mortgage, please use the Sort Code: 40-64-38

You can also find this information in your passbook.

Before sending money to your savings account, please check your product terms and conditions.